These leaves contain Mangiferin and Genkwanin which have anti-diabetic, anti-cancer, antiviral, anti-tussive, anti-inflammation, anti-oxidant, expectorant and immunoregulation (1)
What is agarwood tea?
The leaves derive from leaves that grow on "the wood of God", Aquilaria Crassna, a legendary Eastern herb. Agarwood leaf beverage is not "tea", but "herbal infusion" because it is not Camellia Sinensis.
The delicate aroma with robust flavour makes it stand out from most of its brothers and sisters in the herbal infusion family.
How does it taste?
It is bitter when you take the first sip, followed by an intense lingering tangy after taste. You can feel it in your throat.
"Bitter hey?" so why should I bother steeping it?
Not everyone appreciates bitterness, but it is quite beneficial as "Saponin has the property of precipitating and coagulating red blood cells. Some of the characteristics of saponins include the formation of foams in aqueous solutions, hemolytic activity, cholesterol-binding properties and bitterness "( Sodipo, O. A., Akiniyi JA, Ogunbamosu J. U (2000)).
What do the researchers say about this single ingredient leaf - Aquilaria Crassna?
1) Constipation relief: Laxative effect from the ethanol extract of agarwood leaves (EEA) and Genkwanin Glycosides. Unlike many so-called "slim tea", where diarrhea is a big concern, the agarwood leaves' properties do not trigger this bowel movement (Mamoru Kakino,Gifu Pharmaceutical University)
2) Better, deeper sleep: Terpenoids with sedative and anxiolytic effects found in agarwood leaves. It would relax your body and calm your mind (Mamoru Kakino,Gifu Pharmaceutical University). Adenosine in Aquilaria leaves (Feng and Yang 2012) facilitates sleep and dilates the blood vessels. It signals the body to become drowsy and tells us to sleep to recharge our energy reserves.
3) Decrease cholesterol level: Polyphenol is another substance in our leaves, known for reducing the absorption of cholesterol in your body. (J Nutr Sci Vitaminol (Tokyo).)
4) Contains methoxy flavone which is an anabolic agent, help build muscle combine with the right exercise
5) Mangiferinin agarwood tea significantly lower levels of uric acid in the blood (cause solid crystals to form within the joint, known as "Gout"). Please see the 2017 research below from Agarwood, Science Behind the Fragrance
To read a full article about Aquilaria leaves, click here for a pdf of "Adam, Aimi & Lee, Shiou Yih & Mohamed, Rozi. (2017). Pharmacological properties of agarwood tea derived from Aquilaria (Thymelaeaceae) leaves An emerging contemporary herbal drink. Journal of Herbal Medicine. 10. 37-40. 10.1016/j.hermed.2017.06.002"
Agarwood herbal infusion tea is made of selected young and fresh Agarwood leaves. Many science types of research have proved that they have positive improvements in human health. For example, it offers better and quality sleep, stress-reducing, and constipation relief based on regular consumption. And with the aids of modern technology, we are looking forward to discovering more benefits for health from Agarwood tea soon.
More science research with references available here. and here
* Agarwood tea is not suitable to be consumed during pregnancy and breast-feeding. Please seek advice from your doctors or nutritionists.
Brew: 1g per 160 ml boiling water, brewing time from 3-4 minutes, varying brewing time will increase the depth and strength of the tea depending on personal preferences and can be refilled up to 4 times.
(1g is around 18 leaf balls circa for teapot or 12 balls for a cup. If it is too bitter for you, reduce the number of leaves or add more water for the next brew depending on your taste)
*Please note you could mix Agarwood leaves with green tea or different herbal infusion to alter the taste.
(1) (Maoxun, Yang & Qianhui, Zha & Yongfang, Huang & Yaoguang, Liang & Bin, Zhao & Chaoliang, Xie & Qiaoli, Lv. (2016). Study on the Dynamic Change of Mangiferin and Genkwanin in Aquilaria sinensis Leaves: A New Food Raw Material. Advance Journal of Food Science and Technology. 11. 408-411. 10.19026/ajfst.11.2650.
I am writing this to say a big thank you for the various tea that you have supplied. I will be placing an order again shortly.
I also want to add; that this product is absolutely wonderful. The medicinal purposes are so refreshing. I have also noticed I can do far more push-ups with this product. There is definitely a great natural difference in cleansing as well.
You have a great evening and thanks for your email.
In the future, I may try some other products.
I drank the tea and it was a little bitter, but I got used to it. Only used for a short time, but I have been sleeping better, and have been dreaming again, which I am happy about. I am yet to try it longer to see what other health benefits I will notice.
My husband and I have sleeping so much better and it has an amazing calming effect. Our bowels have also been affected positively.
I can’t recommend this tea enough a must in every household.
It’s not as bitter as others make it out to be - 8 to 10 leaves.